It is therefore crucial that you keep noise levels as low as possible when recording OAEs.
Simple practical hints to reduce noise and ensure successful OAE testing
Reduce environmental noise:
- Use a sound booth. If this is not possible, choose a quiet location and close doors and windows
- Turn off other electrical equipment in the room (eg. ventilator system)
- Turn the patient away so that the test ear faces away from the equipment
- Ensure a good probe seal
- Instruct the patient to be as still and quiet as possible during recording (no chewing and jaw movements)
- Test babies when sleepy or asleep
- Make sure to place the probe cable carefully so it does not rub against the body or clothes.
Learn more about best practices for OAE recordings in this quick guide